Friday, March 5, 2010

Recipe: Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins

whole wheat blueberry banana muffins

I bake a lot for others but for the first time in a very long while I baked something for me to keep in my apartment. I didn't want to go grocery shopping for more food (it's a Sunday ritual of mine - why rock the boat?), and since I have upped my calories a bit I needed some more portable snacks for work. I decided to journey onto dangerous territory and try my hand at self-control. Like Diane at Fit to the Finish recently posted, I too have had struggles with having "just one" of something I bake. Does anyone else have problems with this?

I successfully kept myself in check, only eating one right after they cooled a bit. I attribute this to the fact that I'm eating more throughout the day. I don't think I have felt the need to stuff myself these past few days because I'm not constantly hungry.

But less about me and more about these muffins! Mark Bittman did a write up a while back on how to make whole wheat muffins more palatable without adding a ton of white sugar. His secrets are a.) use whole wheat pastry flour because it yields lighter results, b.) use a cup of pureed or mashed fruit/vegetable (I opted for banana as I always have some extra ripe ones in my freezer) and c.) don't over mix!

I decided to take his tips and work with them to make the following:

Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients
:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup frozen blueberries tossed in a few pinches of flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400° and place 12 paper baking cups in muffin pan. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.

  2. Mix beaten egg, brown sugar, greek yogurt, oil, banana and vanilla in a separate bowl. I used a hand-mixer here to make sure it was really well combined. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. It is important not to over-stir. Lightly fold in blueberries and divide batter among muffin cups.

  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I love to bake too! I also enjoy making muffins. I printed off this recipe - thanks for the information and the mention!

Future Grown-Up said...

Yum..I love the greek vanilla yoghurt in this.

And yes, I most definitely have a hard time with "just one." So far, it's still a dream but I'm working on it.

Kelsey said...

I made these tonight, but used regular yogurt with some vanilla extract mixed in. I also made them into a quick bread by lowering the temp to 350° and baking 40 minutes.

The bread is great! :) Not too too sweet, but just right for breakfast. And the blueberry bites...mmmm!

Post a Comment