Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dinner For One

dinner for one

I like living alone. I think everyone should try it at least once. I can watch all the Degrassi: The Next Generation that I want, eat ginger snaps for dinner, stay up until 2 am playing The Sims, have full-fledged conversations with my cats, do jumping jacks in my living room, so on and so forth. Granted, I don't do all of these things all of the time (especially the ginger snaps thing, I promise!). But the fact of the matter is, I can.

This can work against me, though. I've found that my biggest hurdle in keeping the weight off is eating when I'm at home alone. I am, more often than not, my own worst enemy. I usually stock my cabinets with good, healthy food. But one thing I've learned is that even healthy foods are only good for me in moderation. One thing that always prevents me from overeating is portioning my food out on a plate or in a bowl. I don't like eating foods from large bags or boxes. Snacks and meals feel much more official when on a plate. I rarely go back for seconds once I've plated my food.

Dinner for one is always so difficult for me. Most nights I end up making an omelet and veggie for myself. I was stockpiling one big meal for the week for a while, but found that it bored me too much and I'd wind up eating out more than I should. So, with my trusty new cookbook on hand, I've been taking on grocery items like a mad scientist.


what's for dinner? // curried turnips & summer squash

Tonight's meal, for example, was a bit of an experiment. I found this recipe and built on it, adding a little coconut oil, summer squash, and rice sticks at the end.

The result was relatively delicious. And if it wasn't, no one would have been around to make fun of me for actually eating it!

2 comments:

Penny Dreadful said...

I don't live alone, but my roomies and I (okay, my parents...lol) don't eat the same foods since I've been 'reducing'. (which I like to say instead of 'dieting') So often, I cook very simply, a piece of fish and some steamed veggies. Which can get boring...Here is a cool conversion calc for larger complicated recipes. It lets you reduce them by half so you don't make as much:
http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, your definetly and inspiration to me, I had 120 pounds to lose and have already lost 6! on my way....:P

Post a Comment